Medication and prescriptions

Hi everyone, thanks for joining me today!

Today, I am going to talk about one of the main (annoying) things about being mentally ill. You get prescribed medication, which is meant to do x y and z to help you. You have every intention of taking it, even if so far it’s barely even done x. Now, there a couple of possibilities.

  1. You make an appointment to get a medication review, and you miss the appointment. My GP surgery doesn’t allow emergency appointments for medication reviews, so if I miss one, I have to shamefully beg for another appointment, or just say “well never mind” and miss medication for a few days.
  2. If I actually get to the appointment, I usually remember to ask for more medication. However… If I get the prescription, that does not mean I have medication! I still need to go to the pharmacy and actually get the medication dispensed. Does this happen on time, before I’m right to the last of my medication? Probably 25% of the time. The other 75% of the time, I forget to do it (dissociation) and run out of time to get the medication (lack of reality with time).
  3. I am in that situation now – I managed to find one dose of one of my medications. So, Choco, just go to the pharmacy and get your prescription, I hear you say. Well, another possibility is that I get a prescription, and completely lose it. I was searching and searching this morning, to no avail. So now I have had to shamefully request a new prescription, which can take up to two “business” days. I am so out of touch with reality, that I don’t really know how to deal with this. Probably ration my doses, making my therapeutic level go down? Sigh, why am I like this!!

Don’t take your memory and time-awareness for granted. It really, really sucks when you don’t have a grasp on it, and you’d be surprised how much of your daily functioning relies on it.

Thanks for reading!

One thought on “Medication and prescriptions

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s